Tuesday, 16 July 2013

My Bodytrim Journey: week 4 - one month down and 5.3ks lost!

Wow. My first month on Bodytrim has gone so fast. After my first three days on the carb detox I was wondering how the hell I would ever stick to it and now, a month later, it has just become my way of life. My attitude to food has completely changed. Treats are saved for the free day so they really are treats (and not every day foods like they had become). On my free day I am becoming a food snob - as it is my only day to go nuts on carbs I make sure that I choose carbs that I really enjoy. I don't eat crap for the sake of eating. The last two weekends I have been at functions that have had buffet spreads - rather than eating everything in sight, I choose the item that I want the most and then really enjoy it. Actually - it was kind of funny on the weekend - I was at a Christening and afterwards and they had a huge spread of food, including a giant chocolate cake. When they brought the chocolate cake around the pieces were HUGE. In the past, that would have excited me and I would have probably chosen the HUGEST of the HUGE pieces! I never understood people who would say 'oh no, that's way too big'. When I saw saw the HUGE pieces come around I thought to myself 'oh no, that's way too big'...I had become one of those people (ie sensible people!). So, instead of taking a whole piece I shared one with my husband. It was delicious. I enjoyed it. But, my half a piece was plenty. I had gotten the taste but didn't need anymore. Whereas, in the past, I would have troopered through the whole HUGE piece, started to feel a little sick, not fully enjoyed it, but have eaten it simply because it was there to be eaten, this time around I ate enough to really enjoy it but no so much that I ended up feeling sick.

My results after a month on Bodytrim
I haven't bothered doing weekly photo updates as I thought that the changes in my body would probably be too subtle but I will do a monthly update. I'll start with the weight/measurement results then follow up with the photos (actually, scrap that - photos to come next weeks as it has been a hectic week and I am already late getting this post up).

Weigh In:
Starting weight: 72.5kgs
Weight after week 1: 69.4kgs
Weight after week 2: 68.7kgs
Weight after week 3: 68.1kgs
Weight after week 4: 67.2kgs
Loss in last week = 0.9kgs
Total weight loss: -5.3kgs (very impressed!!)




Measurements:
Starting waist - 89cm
Waist after week 1: 83cm
Waist after week 2: 80cm
Waist after week 3: 79cm
Waist after week 4: 78cm
Loss in last week = -1cm
Total Loss = -11cm (again, quite amazed)

Starting hips - 105cm
Hips after week 1: 102 cm
Hips after week 2: 101.5cm
Hips after week 3: 99cm
Hips after week 4: 99cm
Loss in last week = 0cm
Total Loss = -6cm

Starting thighs - 57cm
Thighs after week 1: 54cm
Thighs after week 2: 54cm
Thighs after week 3: 53cm
Thighs after week 4: 52cm
Loss in last week = -1 cm
Total Loss = -5 cm

Starting arms - 29cm
Arms after week 1: 30cm
Arms after week 2: 30cm
Arms after week 3: 30cm
Arms after week 4: 30cm
Loss in last week = 0cm
Total gain = 1cm


Starting chest - 95cm
Chest after week 1: 93cm
Chest after week 2: 90cm
Chest after week 3: 90cm
Chest after week 4: 87cm
Loss in last week = -3cm
Total Loss = -8cm

I am seriously stoked with my results after a month. Though, the funny thing is that I don't feel like I have lost weight. Yes, some jeans that previously didn't fit now fit again whilst others are getting baggier and baggier but, because I haven't been starving myself (like I imagined it would be like being on a diet), it doesn't feel like I have changed. Though, I never thought of myself as overweight so perhaps my body is now just starting to match up with how I view myself!

Compliance
I stuck the diet very well this week. There was one day, though, where I skipped breakfast. That is a HUGE no no on Bodytrim but I just had one of those hectic mornings where I didn't have a spare minute to prepare a meal, so I just had coffee instead. I paid for it that afternoon when I was absolutely ravenous. I couldn't stop snacking. I made sure that I only snacked on Bodytrim compliant snacks but had much more than what I was supposed to have. I probably ate about $15 worth of Bodytrim pre-packaged snacks, which wasn't ideal (I bought them to have on hand to chuck in my bag when I am going out somewhere and am not sure what snacks will be available to me). This is actually what I always used to do, pre-Bodytrim. Just have a coffee for breakie then find myself with a massive case of the munchies in the afternoon. Interestingly, I was really craving sweets as well, which I haven't done at all, so far, on Bodytrim. So, lesson learnt, I will not be skipping breakfast again. If I am ever super strapped for time then I will, at the very least, have a protein shake (even though I find them feral, it still beats the afternoon munchies).

Long term on Bodytrim
Now that I am half way to my target weight loss of 10kgs I have started thinking about life beyond Bodytrim! The severely restricted carbs might not seem like a healthy eating plan, but I am viewing it this way (analogy ahead...I bloody love analogies!) - if someone was to give me $1000 and ask me what I would spend it on, I would have to confess that I have actually already spent the money, on my credit card, and so would have to use the money to pay off the debt I have created. Once I have squared the debt then I can start spending money again. Same goes for carbs. Carbs are a source of energy. In the past I have consumed excess carbs which have then been stored as fat. Once I have lost this stored fat I can then resume eating carbs. If you have been healthy in the past, and have not stored excess carbs as fat, then there is no reason for you to restrict your carb intake.

You have two options with Bodytrim, once you have reached your goal weight - the carb lovers approach where you are allowed to have carbs with breakfast and lunch and then are allowed one free day a week and then follow that with a protein only day, or the other approach (which I have momentarily forgotten the name of) where you continue to eat as you have been on Bodytrim (ie, only carbs with breakfast) but then get two days off a week, followed by a protein only day. I am not sure which approach I will take and will perhaps mix it up ie if I have a couple of events on the weekend I might take two free days but if nothing much is happening then opt for the carbs with lunch as well as it gives me a few more options on what I can eat.

Common sense
One thing that I am finding is that just about everything to do with Bodytrim is common sense. Apart from the carb detox, the diet really comes down to sensible eating and making sensible choices and not consuming energy that your body just doesn't need. It annoys me that I really had all of this knowledge at my disposal but chose to ignore it. Somewhere along the line, food no longer because a source of fuel for me but something that I had to enjoy ie I was having treats every day and more often than not multiple times a day. Of course I knew this was wrong but it had become such a habit I couldn't seem to snap out of it. At the start of the year I caught up with one of my buddies from mothers group and commented to her that she was looking amazing as she had lost a heap of weight - 15kgs as it turns out. I asked her how she did it and she said it all came down to what she ate and that it was a lot of hard work. At the time I didn't want to hear that. I wanted her to tell me that there was a super easy way where you could keep eating treats and the weight would fall off. Duh...no common sense there. I now realise that I had to get in the right frame of mind to get healthy.

Ok...I think that I have rambled enough this week. I promise that I will update with photos again next week!


Have you ever made a decision to change your life for the better?


Follow the rest of my journey here