Friday 22 February 2013

Who wants a $50 Groupon Voucher

If you haven't heard of group buying and the daily deals sites then I'm afraid you must have been living under a rock. They have been hugely popular of late. The way they work is that various companies offer either products, services or travel deals at greatly reduced prices, but a minimum number of people need to buy the deal for it to go live. Your credit card does not get charged until the minimum number has been reach and the deal becomes live. For example if a deal needs a minimum of 20 people and only 15 attempt to buy the offer then the offer doesn't go live and no one gets charged and no purchase is made. Once 20 people buy, your credit card will be charged and you will receive your purchase. There are quite a few of these sites out there, one of which is Groupon. Before today, I had shopped from a few of these sites, and had always had a favourable experience but had not yet tried Groupon.

Before recommending it to you I wanted to try it for myself. My mother in law has bought me a couple of deals from Groupon but I personally hadn't tried purchasing from them. I found the whole process to be super simple. I just searched the Groupon website for all of their deals. I am based in Sydney so was searching all of the Sydney deals. The deals are broken up into categories: Sydney deals (or wherever your location is - these are the experience deals), shopping deals and travel deals. There are some awesome travel deals on there but I am off to Japan and Thailand in May so won't be going on any more holidays this year! I was also quite tempted by a couple of the shopping deals, but I ended up buying a Sydney deal. All I had to was click the green BUY button, enter quantity then the payment page came up. I was provided with a $20 voucher so I entered that code in the REDEEM VOUCHER box then used Paypal to pay the balance. Seconds later I received an email saying that my order had been received and that once the deal was over I would receive my voucher. About 5 minutes later, two emails arrived with my vouchers attached. Super, super easy!

So, what did I buy? I did want to get something beauty related since that is the subject of this blog but none of the experience deals tickled my fancy at the moment. I have a hair dresser than I am happy with and the rest either weren't local to me or just weren't for things that I needed done (if there was deal on a hot stone massage I would have snapped it up in a second - I have been dying to try that!). I was tempted by the Prolash Eyelash Growth Enhancer as I have always to know whether these actually work (I believe they do as I have read good things but have never personally tried one of these products) but, in all honesty, I have naturally quite long eye lashes so I would have just been getting it for the sake of buying. Instead, I got something I know the Crazy Kid would love - two unlimited ride passes for the Sydney Family Show (we went last year and it is similar to the Royal Easter Show but smaller and has free entry, which is perfect for younger kids who have tendency to crack it after a couple of hours so you don't waste all that entry fee!). Now, all I have to do is take our vouchers to the show and we will be given wristbands that give us unlimited rides.

Now here is the good part. I have a $50.00 Groupon voucher up for grabs. To be in the draw to win it all you have to do is enter is one or all of the following (you get once entry per task):

  1. Follow me on GFC or by email
  2. Follow me on Facebook
  3. Share this giveaway on Facebook
  4. Follow me on Twitter
  5. Tweet the following: Who wants a $50.00 Groupon voucher?? Head here to win one. http://t.co/OR53bfOMg4 @GrouponAUS  
Once you have done any/all of the above can you please leave a comment in the comment sections letting me know how you entered and what your name is (ie if you follow on GFC then just comment 'GFC - (your GFC name) or for Facebook comment 'Facebook - your name'). Please leave one comment per task (ie so if you do all 5 tasks then you should leave 5 comments) so that way I can randomly draw the winners from the list of entries in the comments (sorry if this is annoying but its quicker for me to draw a number then see which name corresponds rather than having to transport everything into Excel).

 This competition is only open to Australian residents and will run until 8.00pm (AEDST) Friday 8th March.

Good luck!


ps In case you missed it, I am also giving away two Burt's Bees gift packs



All opinions are my own. I received a $20 Groupon voucher to test their site but also used my own money in the purchase.