Tuesday 6 September 2011

Lush Karma Shower Gel: why the hell was this limited edition??

I am a fairly terrible judge of people. The people that I have the most intensely negative first reaction to are usually the ones who end up being done of my closest friends. Thankfully, I have become used to my poor judgement so never act on it, instead waiting to see where life takes me. Funnily enough, I have a similar response to fragrances. The ones that I initially despise, somehow intrigue me, then get under my skin and before I know it I am obsessively in love with them.

Lush's Karma fragrance is an example of a fragrance I initially disliked. Boy did I hate it when I first sniffed it. It was repulsive, putrid, completely icky. Why the hell did people go on and on about it. Who could wear such a vial fragrance? Naturally, I avoided it for a few years. Then curiosity got the better of me and I went back for a second sniff. This time around I did not hate it so vehemently. I was actually quite intrigued. It still wasn't a fragrance that I felt I could pull off so I bought some Karma soap instead and so Karma further tightened her grasp around me.

Late last year, or perhaps earlier this year - I can't quite remember - Lush brought out a limited edition Karma shower gel. I bought a 500ml bottle straight away then agonised whether to buy some spares. I have a bad habit of excessively purchasing limited edition Lush items through fear of them running out and never being able to buy them again, only to become obsessed with some new release and to forget about them. I eventually decided to buy another couple of bottles, only to find that they had all sold out. So I squirrelled my lone bottle away, vowing to only use the liquid gold for special occasions, only to completely forget about it for the next 6 months. I rediscovered it last week and have been using it obsessively ever since - as a shampoo, body wash and for Crazy Kid's bubble bath. In fact it makes Crazy Kid smell so good I can't help but snort up his deliciousness (he hates that though and slaps in the face when I try!).

This is Lush's description of the Karma fragrance:

Retro yet ageless, Karma is a powerful, spicy and unique patchouli and citrus perfume. It's a strange slow-burner for some; you fall for it without realizing what's happening. Others love it from the first sniff as they are transported to the age of freedom.

I love the fragrance of the gel even more than the perfume. It is sweeter and subtler than the perfume - not so sharp and harsh. It is very comforting yet also unique. The fragrance of the gel lingers on the skin for hours afterwards. The gel is incredibly gentle - not at all drying on the skin or hair. It truly is a gorgeous shower gel, which leaves me wondering why the hell is it not a permanent product. Karma is Lush's signature fragrance so surely the shower gel should be permanent, shouldn't it? I know they have the soap but what about if you want to fragrance layer - surely it would make sense having a product that can be used as a bubble bath so you can then follow it up with the Karma Kream and a spritz of the perfume. If anyone from Lush land reads this, please, please, please make the Karma shower gel a permanent product!






Have you tried the Karma shower gel? Or what about the Karma perfume? Are you a lover or hater? Will you join my petition to Lush to make Karma a permanent product?!