Wednesday 22 June 2011

Rodial Glamoxy Snake Mask Review: unlike any mask I have ever tried

I had never heard of the brand Rodial until I won the Rodial Glamoxy Snake Mask on Beauty Heaven. This is because it has literally only hit Australian shores in the last couple of months. Rodial is a UK skin care company that creates scientifically based, clinically tested products to treat skin concerns such as ageing and loss of firmness. Their best selling product is the Rodial glamoxy snake serum which, according to Rodial, is a revolutionary oxygenated, viper-inspired serum contains syn-ake, a neuropeptide that mimics the effects of the Temple Viper’s potent venom and a double dose of dipeptides, to instantly lift the face, freeze muscles and plump fine lines and wrinkles. It has been dubbed 'Botox in a bottle'.

Rodial describe the glamoxy snake mask, which is the follow up to the snake serum, as an innovative black ‘peel off’ formula that visibly improves skin radiance and texture. Amino acids and liquorice brighten skin tone while enriched minerals deep cleanse and purify pores to remove excess oil, dirt and impurities.

This was honestly one of the most unique masks that I have ever used. I have always thought that peel off masks were kind of crap. Sure, they are a lot of fun - as kids, my sis and I would steal Mum's Avon Cucumber Peel Off Mask and put it on our hands so that we could pretend to peel our skin off, but other than the novelty factor I have never achieved any notable results from one - not like I do with clay masks. This mask is different. It is much thicker than any peel off mask that I have tried, and because of this you have to work quickly to apply it as it becomes tacky quite fast. You then leave it on for 15-20 minutes to dry, then peel off to reveal brighter skin.

Usually I am fairly 'wordy' in my posts (fine, I waffle on a LOT!), but since this was such a unique mask and it came from a brand that is very new to Australia, I thought I would do a pic heavy post instead.


The mask comes in sexy jet black packaging


The mask itself is as black as the packaging
it comes in.


This colour really suits me - doesn't it make
my eyes pop!

Now to the fun part - the peeling begins...

The peeling continues - can I get it all off in
one go?

The 'snake skin' I shed.

My noticeably brighter new skin

The Results
The mask was really easy to peel off. It forms a really strong, tough 'skin' and I was actually able to remove it all in one go (well apart from the bits that got stuck in my eyebrows - why the hell did I think that my eyebrows needed the mask on them??). I was honestly quite shocked at how good my skin looked after I removed the mask. There was still redness and pigmentation present; however, my skin had a real luminosity about it - the mask definitely had a brightening effect. I have only used it the once, so it is possible that the pigmentation may improve with subsequent uses.

The mask smells gorgeous - I can't quite put my finger on the fragrance but I think it might be orange blossom. The scent lingered subtly on my skin for hours afterwards. I didn't moisturise afterwards and my skin never felt like it need moisturiser ie it never felt tight or dry. It also really did remove impurities from my skin. Because the mask is so thick and tough it yanked out my blackheads a bit like a pore strip would.


The Verdict
I loved this mask and was honestly shocked at the difference it made to my skin, especially after only one use. It really did seem to brighten it. It is recommended on the packaging that this mask be used 1-2 times per week; however, it is quite expensive at $85, so I plan on using it on special occasions as a skin brightener before I go out. My go to mask for such occasions used to be the SK-II Whitening Source Intensive Mask, but at $25 each they really were a luxury item for really special occasions. I estimate that you would get between 10-20 uses per tube, depending on how thick you spread it, making this a much more reasonable option for a special occasion mask. If you want immediate brighter skin, I recommend you give this a try.

Rodial products are available at Myers or online from The Facial Company.

All opinions stated in this blog are my own. I have no affiliation with Rodial. I was lucky enough to win the Rodial Glamoxy Snake Mask in a competition on Beauty Heaven.